Sunday, August 21, 2005

Be still...

“God, what do you want me to do? Do you want me to start my own company or buy some rental property or move to Africa or move to California or start a church or start a camp or buy a franchise or go to seminary or go to business school or save more money or give more money away or start dating or get married or become a monk or maybe a priest or join the military or move to Africa – sorry, I already mentioned that one – or pray more or study more or read the bible or read about real estate or exercise more or move apartments or sell my truck or... hmmm, maybe I could buy a new car or get a roommate or clean my apartment… or get more sleep or maybe sleep less…”

Welcome to the mind of Brad for the past 8 weeks. Ever since I started working, my mind has been consumed with everything I’ve ever wanted to do and am not doing now. I come home at lunch and get on my face and plead “God, where are you?” I can barely breathe. I am more confused than ever – and I have not felt God’s peace about much lately. There are so many things I’m passionate about that I want to do – and I keep going to God not to hear his will for my life, but just to build sand castles in my own mind. I read verses like Matthew 8:19-22 and I wonder – “Did I miss the boat? Am I like the scribe? Is that why I’m not in the Philippines right now?” A very low and negative voice whispers, “Yes, you missed it, Brad.”

‘What I want’ has so swallowed me that I’ve literally been rendered neutral in my effectiveness as a soldier for Christ. It has become abundantly clear to me that I have been under Satan’s attack for the past 8 weeks – he’s attacked my mind and used my desires and dreams to tear me away from God’s peace and current mission. The truth is, none of the things I’ve listed above will ever bring me peace or make me content.

Finally, I came back to God and asked the same question with a new heart. “God, my life is yours. What do you want me to do?” and I waited and listened.

“Be still and know that I am God.”
“Be content where you are and trust me.”
“I know the plans I have for you – plans to prosper you.”
“Wait.”
“You are right where I want you – don’t listen to the Liar.”
“I love you and will never leave you.”

God, thank you that you are a God of clarity and wisdom. Confusion and deception are not of you – you are a God of joy and hope and love. Thank you for restoring your peace in me. Help me go to sleep in your hands. I will rest in you – I will be still and know that you are God.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julianne said...

Hi,

I just wanted to write you because I understand what you're going through. It's not like you don't know what to do, it's more like which one? There are so many ways we can be used by God. Recently, God has been showing me that He is the GOOD Shepherd and that a good shepherd doesn't hide from his sheep. He is there guiding us, not playing hide and seek. This has been awesome because instead of worrying about my future, I've just enjoyed where I'm at. Let God use you where you're at. Anyway, keep seeking God. He's got the best for you!

Soli deo gloria!

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home